I think lately I have been starting off the blog saying, “Wow, this was a busy week.”
Well, all those other times I was a liar, because the past 7 days have proved to be some of the busiest ever! (Well, err, I guess until next week probably lol.)
It was VBS week! I love VBS week. I have always said that if you could teach VBS everyday for your job, I would do it. In a heartbeat. I love seeing the kids learn the songs, play the games, eat the snacks(we have really good snacks!), and learn bible verses. The thing I love about VBS the most is watching the children experience God in a new and powerful way, and see some experience Him fore the first time. ( Wow! I really wish I could have expressed myself in that way when the newspaper lady asked me questions last Friday. I was ,however, in the middle of a “paper jam” crisis.)
I have been an intern during the past two VBS’s, which has made my VBS job go more behind the scenes. I spend the week decorating(and redecorating as things fall down.), counting, sorting, running around, answering calls, problem solving, and making copies on the copier I have a love/hate relationship with. I really love doing those things, and it is neat to see how everything works together from a different perspective. It is a great experience for an aspiring Children’s minister to have.
This year I got to sub in the missions class(my favorite!) for one day, and I have to say that was on of my favorite parts of the week. I am an extrovert. I get energy from being around people. Especially, when those people are kids that are really excited about learning about God.
The newspaper lady asked me why I think people continue to volunteer to work VBS each year and I told her the reason why I continue to come back ( between my high school church, mission trips. and FBC I am on my 9th VBS this year. I also got baptized 9n years ago on Father’s Day. Random facts for you!) I come back every year because I Love God, I love His children, and I love seeing them experience Him.
This year was particularly busy. We had more kids, but less workers. I was interning, but I had do appointments at my other job a couple of the nights. It was VBS week, but only two weeks away from our Middle East trip. Lots of busy-ness. (As I type this, I am feeling a bit guilty because it is Sunday night and I still haven’t done my paperwork for the week at my other job. After this, I promise it’s getting done!:) )
This week, I also noticed an unwelcome friend coming out in me a lot. Pride. Yes, among all the other stuff, I was tempted (and gave in to) being prideful. Each time I got myself feeling prideful, I heard this song in my head singing, ” La-la-la-la, little lies.” It’s a Dave Barnes song. You know the guy who wrote “God Gave Me You.”
The song talks about how we say words we don’t mean and hurt others because we let the Enemy get in our heads and speak these little lies into our hearts. This is very personal for me, but I feel led to share the lies that I hear. I am also going to share the Scripture that is the Truth in those lies.
- Lie 1: You aren’t good enough. This is when you hear the you aren’t smart enough, pretty enough, tough enough, organized enough, have enough friends, stylish enough whatever.
- Truth 1: His grace is enough. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Cor 12:9-10
- Lie 2: You aren’t worthy of love. When you see everyone else in relationships, getting married, having babies, falling in love. This even extends to when you don’t feel loved by one of your parents, siblings, family members, or even a friend.
- Truth 2: He loves you SO much! Zep. 3:17, Jeremiah 31:3, John 3:16, Romans 5:8 are just a few examples of how GREAT God’s love is for us. There are so many more!!
- Lie 3: See how everyone else’s life is falling into place, looks like God forgot about you. This one hurts me more than I want to admit to. This is when you hear good news like someone has a new job, engagement ring, pregnancy announcement, special recognition, and you want to be happy for them, but get that nagging “When is it my turn?” feeling.
- Truth 3: He has AMAZING plans for your life. Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 8:28, Proverbs 16:9, Proverbs 3:5-6
- Lie 4: You messed up. You are a failure. You don’t deserve___. This is when you let past mistakes/failures dictate whether you will be used by God in the future. Sometimes we can believe we aren’t getting such and such because of our past failures. We can get caught up in this and live a life of regret, sadness, and bitterness.
- Truth 4: You are forgiven. God wants to give you beauty for those Ashes. If you believe in God and have accepted Jesus and trust Him as Lord and Savior. You are forgiven. God doesn’t remember that sin anymore.”IF we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9. He also plans to take all of those bad things, sorrow, and despair and turn it into beauty. “To all who mourn in Israel,[c he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning. festive praise instead of despair.In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory.” Isaiah 61:3
- Lie 5: You need more than you have.You deserve to be the center of attention. This when you hear things like, you need more money for the job you are doing. You should buy this. You need this. You don’t need to wait on this, just do it now. Things like that. Lies the world has aided to this feeling in telling us that life should be all about us.
- Truth 5: What Jesus did is MORE than enough for us.We should live like Him. The only thing we deserve is to die and go to hell. We are all sinners. We fall short of and believing in Jesus Christ is our ONLY HOPE! Not anything of this whole world, but only Jesus! Need more proof. John 3:30,20:28, Luke 9:23-24. Phil. 2, and Isaiah 66:2.
There are more lies that I could prove as lies, but I feel these are enough to start with. Know that no matter who you are and what you’ve done that God loves you and wants to have a relationship with you. He is crazy about you and loves you so much that He sent his son to die for your sins.
There is no greater LOVE or truth than that.
Let’s stop believing the lies.