I think I was a born worrier.
I like to dress it up and call it planning, concern,problem solving, and deep thinking. I like to pretend I have it under control.
The truth is ,I don’t. I worry about lots of things. Future plans. Work. Decisions. Hurting other people’s feelings. What to eat. What to say. When to go. When to stay.
Once all of those layers I have dressed my problems up in come off, what I am left with is restless, sleep losing, not God-glorifying worry.
James says that when we doubt and worry we are like waves crashing all over the place, unsteady. Jesus says that worrying can’t an hour to our life.
Then, why as I believer in Christ, do this to myself? Why is it a problem for so many of us?
I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s because I like control. I don’t like to be the boss, but I like to know how things will turn out. I need a plan I can count on. I need something to bring order too. I, Kim Eubanks, can be a control freak. The Sanguine/Extrovert/Fun-loving side of me dislikes that I have some type-A ness to me, but I admit it. I worry to feel in control.
The truth is though, all that worry never seems to get me anywhere. It just leaves me discouraged, exhausting, and looking to God for the answers I should have just looked to find in Him in the first place.
That is where I find my Joy, my Peace, my Comfort, and my Hope. Then all that stuff I worry about, melts away.
I don’t know where you are at. Maybe you worry 23 hours of the day. Maybe you never do. I would like to share with you some verses and promises our precious Heavenly Father made us to help combat that worry.
1. We need to let it go. He wants to bear our burdens. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
2. He’s got this thing worked out. We just gotta trust him. “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?” Matthew 6:25-27 ” He alone is my rock and my salvation. He is my rock, I will never be shaken.” Psalms 62:2
3. He is on our side. He is ready to be in battle for us. “ The Lord will fight for you. You need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14. “If God is for us, than who can be against us.” Romans 8:31
4. He is a plan. Our plans are nice, but his is better. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6 ” In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.” Proverbs 16:9
5. He wants us to have peace. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:6-7 ” I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
The only way we are ever going to get over this worry epidemic is to get on our knees. Paul says, don’t worry about anything, pray about everything.
Will you join me in prayer?
Don’t let worry steal your joy and your peace!